Art-Speak serves to enhance Portsmouth’s community, which includes non-profit arts, historical and cultural organizations, individual artists, citizens, and businesses, as well as its economy through arts and cultural programs and initiatives.
- Promote appreciation, awareness, participation and dialogue in support of the invaluable contribution that arts, culture and history makes to our city’s vitality and quality of life.
- Implement and periodically update the Portsmouth Cultural Plan.
- Market and promote Portsmouth as a cultural destination
- Create new resources to support local artists and cultural organizations
- Perform a coordination function for local arts and cultural organizations and advocate on their behalf at local, state and national levels
- Convene an annual forum for community dialogue related to arts and culture
- Introduce businesses to the importance of supporting our cultural community
- Serve as an advisor to all departments of City government on arts and cultural issues
- Prepare annually a state-of-the-city State of the Arts report for the City Council
- Collaborate with regional and state arts and cultural organizations
Art-Speak, the City of Portsmouth Cultural Commission, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that was created to support Portsmouth’s arts, historical and cultural sector following a recommendation by the Mayor’s Blue Ribbon Committee on Arts and Culture in the 2002 Portsmouth Cultural Plan.